We thought we would share with you what our top 5 summer skin essentials are to keep you looking and feeling your best!!
SLIP SLOP SLAP
Most of us know the importance of wearing sunscreen in the summer months to avoid sunburn and skin damage, but it really should be worn all year-round. Rain or shine, fair or dark skin, sunscreen is a must! Sunscreen should be applied 30 minutes before sun exposure to allow the ingredients to fully bind to the skin. Reapplication of sunscreen is just as important as putting it on in the first place, so re-apply the same amount every 2 hours.
Now to the benefits of wearing sunscreen:
- It prevents premature ageing of the skin
- Protects the skin from UV rays
- Lowers the risk of skin cancer
- Reduces the risk of sunburn
- Reduces skin discoloration
Through sweating, breathing and urine we are constantly losing water, hence why it is crucial that we replace what we lose, to stay hydrated and have our bodies working at its optimum. With the warmer months upon us, you are likely to lose more fluid each day through sweat than you do during the cooler months, so – that means it is more important than ever to focus on what fluids you are drinking and putting into your body. There are many advantages of keeping hydrated one of which is being able to maintain your focus and energy so you can function at your best.
Here are a few great ways to ensure you keep hydrated, particularly over the warmer months:
- Always carry a water bottle or if you are in the office, have a glass of water at your desk.
- Don't wait till you are thirsty - just drink!
- Avoid ice cold drinks is it causes the blood vessels in the stomach to constrict, reducing the rate of fluid absorption. Cool water is absorbed much faster.
- Consume a diet rich in whole foods - eating water-rich foods like vegetables and fruits will automatically up your fluid intake.
A PUNCH OF ANTIOXIDANTS
The skin is the body's largest organ so it's extremely important to take care of it and treat it like gold! So where does antioxidants come into this? Antioxidants protect the skin by limiting the production of harmful molecules known as free radicals. Free Radicals can damage the DNA of your skin cells by destroying the collagen and elastin that provide elasticity and tautness to your skin. There are many internal and external factors that expose our skin to Free Radicals, to name a few - radiation from the sun, pollution, smoking, exposure to x-rays and other toxic chemicals.
With daily use of topical antioxidants as well as consuming a diet high in antioxidants you can help combat visible signs of ageing, calm skin inflammations and improve the overall feel and look of your skin.
Some of our favourite topical antioxidants that fight back against free radicals are:
- Vitamin A (retinol)
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)
- Vitamin E (tocopherol)
A few powerful antioxidants to include in your diet are:
- Berries - Blueberries, blackberries, goji berries
- Greens - Kale, spinach, broccoli, brussel sprouts
- Colourful vegetables - Beets, red peppers, red cabbage, eggplant
Exfoliation aids in the removal of the dead skin cells on the skin’s surface. As we age the skins cellular renewal rate slows down and this is due to slower blood circulation which leads to less oxygen being delivered to the skin cells. This will result in a buildup of dead skin cells, giving you a dull and rough skin texture.
When the build up occurs you are more likely to see fine lines and wrinkles, enlarged pores and uneven skin tone and texture. If you are more of an oily skin you may also notice acne and blemishes and this is due to the buildup of dead skin cells and oil combined together which clogs your pores. Exfoliating the body is just as important as the face and having a regular exfoliating regime will leave your face and body feeling and looking refreshed.
MINERAL ALL THE WAY
We all love that feeling of lightweight breathable makeup that doesn't sweat or melt off. Mineral makeup is the way to go, its gentle on the skin and doesn't lead to breakouts or clogged pores. Its our ideal go to for Summer!
Wearing mineral makeup is the perfect solution and has many benefits:
- Non-comedogenic - won’t cause breakouts
- Better coverage with less product
- Won’t settle into fine lines
- Can be worn while exercising - lightweight and breathable
- Free of potentially irritating chemicals, synthetics, fragrances, preservatives, parabens, gluten, oils, and waxes
We stock Colorescience Sunforgettables Total Protection and our clients absolutely love it! The Sunforgettables range is a mineral based brush on shield with a built in SPF 50. Sunforgettables Total Protection is hydrating, antioxidant rich and great to wear particularly through the summer months. It comes in 4 shades to suit every skin type: Fair, medium, tan and dark.